request: open 2010 files with precedent max version

hi all,
do you know a way how to open 3ds max 2010 saved files with 3ds max older version like 2009?
thx
jinj

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
jinj's picture

thx, I try fbx and it run

thx,
I try fbx and it run well, but I think that's very stupid that an autodesk exchange tool like it don't maintain layers group. if you no have animation it's the same to export as *.3ds. another very bad think is that if you export a vray light it will be not write in the fbx file, after importing you see nothing of the light. a geometry dummy would be interesting for recreating light and orienting it in the original position.
I think that by autodesk people don't think to much about users
about merging a scene, it's not possible.. it's the same to open directly a 2010 scene in 2009
jinj

Mr.T's picture

I don't know why but every

I don't know why but every new 3dsmax files are not compatible with older 3dsmax. I understand that newer max features cannot be opened with older max, sounds logical to me. But a bridge would be nice, for example if we work with another studio and they work with newer max things become difficult.

Anyway I would suggest you to check FBX files, I worked with FBX when I had to send animators models and they would send me back the animation. Try exporting from max 2010 to fbx and import in max 2009 the fbx files.

If someone has a better way to do this I would be glad to learn how.

ps: have you tried merging things from max2010 files in max2009 ? I never tried that but it might work. Except if max files header is totally different for each versions and cannot be opened at all with older 3dsmax (even for merging action).

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.