Creating a 0-255 color gradient along a path representing a 0-360 angle

Hi,

This is my first post here, and i've been busting my head with this issue. I wathed the basic maxscripting tutorial but a while ago and i haven't really practiced. I use grasshopper for rhino to make concepts and even working mechanisms but i can't put in code myself.

I want to output a bitmap to use as a control for multiscatter plugin for max. It does rotation based on a map where 0 is -180deg, .5 is 0deg and 1.0 is 180deg. My idea was just to copy a bunch of sloped planes along a path and use a normal map to extract this info. Unfortunately this doesn't really work as i planed, as i get repetition, something like going from zero to 180 deg and then back to zero.

I was wondering if this is something that could be scripted, and if i could handle it if i refreshed my memory with a bit of tutorials and default help.

I could model a plane with X subdivisions in one direction. This plane could follow a curve by using the path deform modifier. The curve would be divided by X as well, and a vector taken for each point, by subtracting it from every next. If these vectors are converted to angles, a gradient could be created. Or possibly the original plane could be exploded so each of the polygons gets a new material with a color responding to the angles 0-255 equals 0-360 degrees.

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Graph's picture

how bout some visual backUp

how bout some visual backUp for that text? ;)
i got some ideas but dont know if they will fit what you need

Raphael Steves

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.