Low poly head generator
I'm pushing around the idea of creating a low polygon head generator tool/utility that could be used to create human heads for gaming character models.
I wondered if anyone has come across such a tool, or uses something similar in-house?
Plus how keen people would be to use such a tool?
I'm thinking along the lines of;
- Using a template in Photoshop to mark points on the face, a black/white photo, points marked in colour. - saving these out with an automated action.
- Importing the profile and portrait images into the viewportbackground in 3dsMax.
- Reading the pixel information and capturing the point3 co-ords data as needed from them.
- creating an array of verts at these point3's.
- creating an array of faces connecting the verts in the right order.
- this automodels the head.
The number of 'marker points' on the initial image would be kept to a minimum - else it'd be too long winded - and extra script would be written to produce 'midway' verts to increase the detail and polys produced.
That's the idea.
At the moment in practice, i'm trying out something a little easier, but not as versitle; A generic low poly head with morph targets which allow you to alter it's proportions through an interface as need be - much like in games such as Oblivion were you have the option of creating the look of your character at the begining. This is pretty cool, but i think a head generator would be ace.
Thanks for taking the time to read,