Material preview toggle (hide lights, set exposure, set env. background)
i´m currently working on optimizing my workflow.
And since my Computer isn´t that powerful, rendertimes one of my bigger problems.
Especially when working on materials, waiting for test-renders, just to change little values is killing me when working on larger scenes.
So my workflow for testing materials in a scene consists of the following steps for me right now:
1. Pick object for preview and isolate selection.
2. Turn off all scene lights.
3. Turn on the skylight for material-previews (labeled "MatSky").
4. Put my preferred HDRI into the environment slot (skylight is told to use environment).
5. Turn down exposure to an appropriate value (one skylight=exposure value of -2 to 0).
6. unhide my materialpreview-layer (some studiogeometry, depending on the objects i use).
7. Hit render.
Once i´m done tweaking the material, i have to revert all steps:
8. Turn off skylight.
9. Replace HDRI in Env-Slot with Mr Sky.
10. Turn up exposure.
11. Hide materialpreview-layer.
12. Turn on scene lights.
13. Unisolate selection.
Then i usually do a testrender, to see how the material looks in the scene.
It woud be a major time-saver to just do all the above steps with one click, instead of many, but unfortunately some of the steps don´t show up in the macro-listener and i don´t have the time to work my way through the max-help right now.
So maybe one of you with a little more experience could point me in the right direction...