Script request (150 EUR.): workaround for 3dsMax File Link bug

There's a nasty FileLink bug in 3ds Max that has existed since 2004 and has never been fixed. Over the years I've sent several bugreports, steps to reproduce it and have even received confirmation about it being reproduced by Autodesk.. but instead of fixing it, with every release it seems that they only focus on changing stuff that works well..

This is the bug:
When an UVW Map modifier (probably any other modifier too) is applied to a block inside a filelinked AutoCAD DWG, and that block is copied, mirrored or deleted in AutoCAD, filelink 'Reload' fails and scatters and deforms all linked geometry randomly across the scene.

Possible workaround:
Before filelink 'Reload' is used, for each layer and block a temporary box could be drawn in a non-render layer, the modifiers in the stack of each layer and block can be instanced to it's temporary box, and the modifiers of the layers and blocks can then be removed. Then the file can be reloaded, after which all the modifiers can be instanced back from the temporary boxes to the geometry it belonged to (if that still exists after reloading). There might be smarter ways to do it, that's up to the one taking on the challenge.

Offering 150 Euro for a solid workaround. Please drop a message here before starting. I can provide the file/steps to reproduce this bug, so that can be used for testing the script.

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
3d-labor's picture

Old post, but problem is still alive

Hello,
today I again had to fight with this old problem. In AutoCAD 2015 and MaxDesign 2014. Former, in 2012 I had the problem with the scattered elements. Would be very funny, if I did my work only for fun. But if the client waits for new renderings...
I only redefined some blocks or mirror some of it and MAX crashes during reload.
It is a shame for AutoDESK, that one guy can program a workarround in a short time, while hundreds of AutoDESK programmers...

www.3d-laboratory.com
Visualization for architects

birket's picture

Same issue

I wondered if this script was ever created and was available from anywhere?

----------------------
www.blinkimage.com

miauu's picture

The script was created.

The script was created. Contact with the OP or barigazy.

barigazy's picture

The script is created and sended to requester.

bga

3DV's picture

We have a winner

Barigazy delivered an excellent script providing the needed solution.

It collects all modifiers on temporary objects, the linked files can then be reloaded, after that the modifiers can be restored to the linked blocks.

What Autodesk didn't manage to fix in the past 8 years Barigazy fixed in a couple of hours. Very nice work Barigazy, and thanks a lot! The money is yours, well earned.

barigazy's picture

I appreciate your compliment

I appreciate your compliment and I'm glad we've completed this simple and also very useful script.
Cheers!

bga

3DV's picture

Multiple entries

There are already two scripters who have sent their work.
The best entry will be paid, when decided, I'll post the results here.

3DV's picture

Anyone able to help with

Anyone able to help with this?
I'll pay the 150 Euro for a script that can get me started:

Step 1/Script 1:
For all elements with a name that starts with: Block: perform the following
(only one for each unique name, elements without modifiers can be skipped)
- create a temporary box at 0,0,0 with same name as the element, with prefix Temp
- copy the modifiers of the linked element to the new box

Then the filelinked drawing will be reloaded, this doesn't have to be part of the script.

Step 2/Script 2:
- loop over all temporary boxes and if the block with same name still exists, copy the modifiers
- delete the temporary box

kimarotta's picture

I sent a message for you. I

I sent a message for you.

I look back.

kimarotta.com.br
3d Artist  

barigazy's picture

first assignment

Me to :)

bga

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.