Batch Asset Re-Path tool
This will perform a find and replace of asset path names,(bitmaps, xrefs or anything that shows up in the asset tracker). It is very powerful and works very quickly. Therefore, you can make mistakes very easily.
I strongly recommend that you back up all of the max files before using this tool.
This will only work in 2010+ and only on files that have been saved with 2010+
It operates on the Max files themselves and makes changes without prompting you. It doesn't do anything destructive. But if you make a mistake by pathing assets to a location that does not exist or contains a typo, the assets will not be found and you will simply have to repath them again. You can always do this through the asset tracking dialog but it can be prohibitively slow because you have to open files individually and it reloads the assets whenever you make changes.
This tool does not actually open any max files. It only operates on the files and changes them internally. This is a new feature of Max 2010 and Autodesk's XBR project, the major restructuring of 3dsMax.
1. Enter a root folder at the top. Pasting this from explorer is easiest or you can click the button to browse.
2. Click Collect/Refresh Asset Paths. This will give you a list of the unique paths found in all of the max files. It will report all of the max files to the listener.
3. Double click on an item in the list and it will go into the "Find in Path: " text field. Edit this down to a common root that will work with your new path.
4. Type in what you want to replace this text with.
a. Be very careful that your replace text makes sense for what it will replace. Double check that the end of the two lines both have or don't have a \
5. Hit RePath! The tool will then give you a short count down and then a report of everything it is doing.
6. Press Collect/Refresh Asset Paths again to see the updated results.
Continue to work through the other paths.