- A simple script that facilitates the creation of vertical planes for use with trees/people images billboards.
- Select a diffuse map (tree/person image)
- Select a matching Alpha map of the same map. or press the lock icon if you use a TGA/TIFF image with an embedded Alpha channel.
- You may resize the plane to a desired height or width (great for specific people heights).
- Press the Generate! button.
- Once done the script will place a vertical plane with the tree or person in 0,0,0.
- You may change some parameters both before and after the billboard is created.
- If you check the Random checkbox - each time you press the Generate! button - a billboard of slightly different dimensions will be created. You can also determine the max/min offsets.
- The defaults for the billboard name and its material can be modified only prior to its creation.
- You can Pick Point in Viewport < to specify the exact location of a newly created billboard. If you already have one selected - picking a point will move it to that new point. You may reset it to the world zero point by pressing the Reset button.
- If you need more than one instance of this billboard - use the scatter engine. Enable it , Type the number of duplicates and define a rectangular area where the billboards will be generated. Scatter uses the Random function if it is enabled.
- You may also modify the Shadows casting and reception and visibility parameters of the billboards.
- The Orientation command will orient the selected billboard to an object - preferably a camera.
- IMPORTANT TIP: Use bitmap proxies once working in the viewport becomes too slow when using lots of billboards.
Watch a video tutorial
This script was written with 2 channels in mind as I am using GOT3D textures which use a diffuse map as well as an alpha one. (Also: Ambient Light and Total3D)
- To install my scripts, copy the script file to the 3dsmax/scripts/startup folder and inside max from the Customize menu open the Customize USer Interface dialog box. From the Category - select OneManSoft , select the script from the list and assign a keyboard shortcut.
New in 2.0.01 BETA
1. Billboard is now an object and is called OMSBILLBOARD. It retains all the previous capabilities and currently adds none but it will.
2. random checkbox default mode is now unchecked.
3. realworld dimensions set to off as in some setups the map was tiled.
this is not compatible with MAX 7 or 7.5 - I will add it in the next release
New in 2.0.6 BETA
1. Read Billboard.txt file included with the ZIP file for info on changes
New in 2.1
1. Added a Flip Horizontally option for cases where you need to flip the images
New in 2.2
1. Free cameras can also be oriented to.
2. Cameras list will show cameras only - without the target object
New in 2.3
1. Added a button to set the XYZ for a new billboard.
New in 2.3a
1. Fixed a lingering bug where typing a value in the billboard height did not affect it.
New in 2.5
1. Added buttons to simplify the selction of Diffuse AND Alpha files in 4 companies naming conventions: Got3D, Imagecels, AmbientLight and Cad Plants. IF you want another combi to be added plz email me. By pressing any of them you may skip the 2 buttons on top + Lock button.
New in 2.6
1. Flip can now affect selected billboards.
2. Added 2 more companies presets.
3. rearranged the maps rollout design.
4. Added an option to set coordinates to the currently selected billboard.
New in 2.7
1. Added a RGB output control for images and also - When Using CAD Plants output value for RGB is forced to 0.8 as I got too bright billboards in common MR photographic exposure
New in 2.75
1. Added a command to create a Black Gray White billboard for Color Correction purposes.
This billboard will not cast or recieve shadows and will not appear in reflections.
New in 2.8
1. Removal of orientation is finally here - press one button to annul all orientations - then assign to a different camera.