written by Mayec Rancel
Creates a point dummy, and parents it to the reference object's vertex/center,
using controller expressions.
This is useful to parent other objects to a specific part of a deforming
mesh, or an object whose transforms have been 'baked' (e.g. point cache).
I have found it specially useful, in FX work, for particle/fluid emitters.
- Only the 'center' method can be used with splines.
- When using 'vertex' method, the dummy's rotation will align to the
This script has been tested in 3ds max 2010 x64, running on Windows Vista.
1. Copy "stickLocator_v1.2.mcr" to your scripts folder
(e.g. "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2009\Scripts")
2. Execute "stickLocator_v1.2.mcr" script file from 3ds max, to register the
3. Go to "Customize > Customize User Interface".
In Category "Mayec Tools" you will find "Stick Locator" which you can drag to
a toolbar to have as a button, or associate it with a hotkey, etc
Stick Locator v1.2
* Added the "pick vertex" feature.
* Simplified the whole interface/workflow.
* Basic smart-filtering by object type (if spline, won't allow 'vertex',
if dummy or point, won't appear in the multi-list box.)
For this script and more, visit http://www.mayec.eu/