This tool is for adding details for your fractured model's internal faces , cracks and so on. It offers a built in solution for doing so without the need of external plugins by using 3ds max default modifiers in a clever and systematic way.
I've tried this tool on most of the possible scenarios and it worked fine with no problems, in case you have a big amount of chunks you need to be patient because it take sometime.
I would like to advise you to filter your selection and exclude the small frags from your selection because they are gonna prelong the processing time without adding much to your final render result, I use select by size script for this wich can be found here:
Instructions: The way it works is by using volume select modifier so you need to have the original mesh before fragmentation took place or an approximate mesh of it. a couple of steps to follow:
- pick your vol.select mesh
- select some frags for the sake of testing
- hit make it noisy and adjust the parameters to your liking once you are satisfied with the result hit R (rest) and move to the Bake it section in this section you have two options:
- (With Noise mode) this will bake the same result you achieved in Visualize section to your selection. When you hit this button you're still able to control the Fallof, Noise scale and strength but not the Subdevide plz be carefull, because this will change the vertex order and ruin the result.
- (Displacement mode) where you are going to define a vertex selection that is going to transfer into a vertex color once you hit (bake verts color) button.
- Finally you have the material section in case you used the vertex color method this button is going to create a material with displacement and bump for your selection.
-The emergency section has two buttons in case something went wrong and the script crashed:
-You are still able to delete all the modifiers that have been added by this script, simply select your frags and hit Restore Selection.
-And also if the modifier panel stopped working you will hit Resume Modify panel.
Note: please save your scene before trying this tool it stills at early stages and need more improvements, and if you faced any issue don't hesitate to report it.